Join now - be part of our community!

Hard drive and memory errors detected

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
SAMXAN
Visitor

Hard drive and memory errors detected

Hi, I have a VPCEB2MOE that is less than two  years old. I don't know if the warranty is for 1 year or 2 years But my laptop has almost completely failed in the last 2 days. System check by windows says I have hard drive and memory erros detected. I don't know what these mean, I don't even know if they are a result of viruses and trojans, As far as I am aware I have a functional up to date antivirus and it hasn't detected anything.

I tried to restore the system but that didn't fix anything at all. it says i have hard drive, RAM, and system registry errors. Please shed some light on this.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
SAMXAN
Visitor

Hi Blencogo, thanks for replying. Yes, I did make recovery CDs, but it will take me a while to get hold of them. I I have given up on trying to get rid of this thing and want to do complete system recovery. Only thing am worried about is loosing my Microsoft office 2010, a friend gave me one of her licence keys. I can't see MS office in my computer so can't get hold of the activation key. Even if I managed to get the key again, I don't think it will work as the key has been used once ( even though on the same computer).

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi SAXMAN,

The System Recovery will return your Vaio back to factory condition - so programs like Microsoft Office Starter 2010 will be reinstalled.

You will lose any software you have added since new and all your data, files and settings will be lost unless you have backed them up.  You will have to set up the Vaio from scratch as you did when you first used it.

You will also have to install all Microsoft and Vaio Updates - this could take some time!!

You may not need Recovery Discs if the hard drive recovery is still OK.  Download the Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide for your model from here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/RecoTS/2010Q2_TRG_EN.pdf

and follow the section which is headed "Recovering Your Computer" then the section "To Recover from the Recovery Area".  To start the recovery, you need to press the ASSIST button when the Vaio is turned off.

Think about it before you do a full recovery - there may be some files you need to try to back-up before you do the Recovery.

:thinking: