Join now - be part of our community!

Hard disk drive diagnostic CD (free download)

spollak
Visitor

Hard disk drive diagnostic CD (free download)

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-NR11S O/S Vista (18 months) and it does not start at all (it hangs).

I have tried most options available via F8 (repair my computer, safe mode, last known good configuration), F10 (options don't come up) and F2 (reset to factory settings)... Nothing works at all. All the lights are on (power, battery, HDD). After 5-10 minutes all I get is a black black screen (sometimes the mouse pointer is there and you can move it).

I haven't tried the RECOVERY CD YET because I have misplaced it and forgot to make another one. I will purchase another one if necessary but first I would like to know:

(1) If the hard disk drive is faulty will the RECOVERY CD work?

I have been told by a technician at PC Performance support that I should download a free HARD DISK DRIVE DIAGNOSTIC CD first. Apparently the best one which work for all notebooks are available on Packard Bell website. I cannot find it!!!

(2) If the HDD Diagnostic CD is worth trying has someone got the link?

I pay a monthly premium of £8.99 to get support but they can't help me.

Thank you for your help in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
spollak
Visitor

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-NR11S O/S Vista (18 months) and it does not start at all (it hangs).

I have tried most options available via F8 (repair my computer, safe mode, last known good configuration), F10 (options don't come up) and F2 (reset to factory settings)... Nothing works at all. All the lights are on (power, battery, HDD). After 5-10 minutes all I get is a black black screen (sometimes the mouse pointer is there and you can move it).

I haven't tried the RECOVERY CD YET because I have misplaced it and forgot to make another one. I will purchase another one if necessary but first I would like to know:

(1) If the hard disk drive is faulty will the RECOVERY CD work?

I have been told by a technician at PC Performance support that I should download a free HARD DISK DRIVE DIAGNOSTIC CD first. Apparently the best one which work for all notebooks are available on Packard Bell website. I cannot find it!!!

(2) If the HDD Diagnostic CD is worth trying has someone got the link?

I pay a monthly premium of £8.99 to get support but they can't help me.

Thank you for your help in advance.

I didn't realise these were 2 difficult questions.
Not getting any response here or via email with SONY VAIO customer support service!!
Thanks anyway.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry - we weren't ignoring you ....... honestly!

1). Not with a faulty drive. You will need to replace the hard drive and then you can use the Recovery Discs to load onto the new drive.

2). Use a diagnostic tool for the make of drive you have in your Vaio. The dedicated tool can sometimes fix small problems. What make of hard drive do you have? If you can't boot from the CD/DVD drive the hard disc diagnostics cannot start.

It sounds to me like your hard drive is faulty.

You would honestly think that PC Performance could try using a Microsoft boot disc to see if it is the hard drive.

Do you see the Vaio logo on the screen when you first start the Vaio?

:thinking:

spollak
Visitor

First of all thank you so much for responding Blencogo!

2) How do I found out the make of my hard drive? The only thing that I can access on my laptop is the BIOS. Will hard drive make be there somewhere?

2) Can I get the hard drive make information on this website with the serial number?

2) Once I know the hard drive information where do I download the FREE diagnostic tool from?

Yes, I do see the Vaio logo on the screen when I first start the laptop.

I am also disappointed with the service from Sony Vaio support and PC Performance. If I don’t get anywhere by next week I will simply take the laptop back to PC World and sit there until they run a HDD diagnostic for me.

Thank you again for your help and suggestions.

ladi.asuni
Visitor

First of all thank you so much for responding Blencogo!

2) How do I found out the make of my hard drive? The only thing that I can access on my laptop is the BIOS. Will hard drive make be there somewhere?

2) Can I get the hard drive make information on this website with the serial number?

2) Once I know the hard drive information where do I download the FREE diagnostic tool from?

Yes, I do see the Vaio logo on the screen when I first start the laptop.

I am also disappointed with the service from Sony Vaio support and PC Performance. If I don’t get anywhere by next week I will simply take the laptop back to PC World and sit there until they run a HDD diagnostic for me.

Thank you again for your help and suggestions.

I have a similar problem with my Vaio VGN AR 630 laptop. My F10 works and i've run a hard disk diagnostic which says my hard driver are in order (no fault). I can access Bios setup. I was playing a game "Need for speed carbon" the night before this happened the system froze during the game with d game sound still buzzing and i had to force a shut down. Also i observe some funny screen lines/patterns during start up/bios. The patterns dont show in safe mode or when i run d diagnostic tool so i know d screen isn't damaged.

When d problem started i could start in safe mode. But i decide to restore C: to original OS state and i'm still unable to get past the dark screen after my microsoft corporation loading page. So the windows reinstallation can't be completed and i cant get into safe mode anymore because of the partial installation state.

The only Sony Service Station in Nigeria does not handle Vaio yet. So i really need some help here.
K