Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot find the CD or DVD recorder. The recorder may be in use. Check your recorder then restart the VAIO Recovery Utility

studio52
Visitor

Cannot find the CD or DVD recorder. The recorder may be in use. Check your recorder then restart the VAIO Recovery Utility

Yesterday i tried to burn a recovery disk with vaio recovery tool for my vaio vgn-fe31h what is allready bit older then a year, but when i clicked on "create recovery media kit" an error comes up with a message "cannot find cd or dvd recorder"!!!
i was checking the device manager but it says that the device is working proparly.
im not burnig cd`s or dvd`s often but i was burning a dvd on the same day and it worked.
I was using nero 8.
There where no updates for the device either.
In the device manager are no errors shown, it says that the device is woking properly.
I tried to delete the upper and lower registry values but im so stupid that i deleted everything what was in the file!
Is there a possibility to recover the files without doing a format c?
vaio vgn-fe31h
matshita dvd-ram 850s

Someone had the same problem, i rad it in the forum but he didnt get any answear...maybe its possible to check what could be done.(http://club.vaio.sony.ie/clubvaio/ie/en/forum/viewthread?thread=36996&offset=140)by scribbler59
Im in estonia now and its expensive to call to a support center. they ar all someware abroad!

Can anyone help me please?

3 REPLIES 3
carloscerros
Visitor

Hi studio52,

I experienced some similar issues with Nero and CD/DVD reader/burner.
It might be Nero disables ODD for some reasons.
Just uninstall Nero and use Roxio inbuilt, check if ODD is OK after uninstall & restart.

Let us know

studio52
Visitor

With roxio i had a similar problem it didnt find any drive on the laptop!
nero is the only program what alows me to burn.
And direct dvd aswel same problem.
dont know what to do:(

carloscerros
Visitor

Hi

Have a look in device manager and tell us if ODD appears with a black exclamation point (!) on a yellow field and if some code error indicated?