Join now - be part of our community!

BBC HD on Vaio XL-201

jonathancarty
Visitor

BBC HD on Vaio XL-201

Hi,

I've spent ages trawling various forums looking for specifics regarding what is needed for receiving free to view HDTV channels.

I'm running an XL201 with 3g RAM connected via HDMI to a KDL40W2000.

I have CoreAVC running but was wondering what other hardware / software was required.

I've found loads of info online but wasn't sure if it applied to my setup.

All advice gratefully received,

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You'll probably need a HD card from Haupagge, I doubt the current one will get any HD signal, plus you'd need Freesat.

http://www.hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=REC_SKYSTAR_HD

metcaa1
Visitor

Kee-Lo is right, you would need to buy the Hauppague card WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 and connect it to your existing Satellite dish or get one setup (approx £80).

To use it in MCE you would need to download the beta drivers to get the freesat channels, but as Media Centre does not support MPEG-4 you could only view the SD channels not HD.

To watch HD channels you would have to use the software provided with the card outside of Media Centre.

Heres hoping Microsoft add MPEG-4 support to vista or its replacement soon, as I would love to watch BBC HD, ITV HD etc via Media Centre in the future!

jonathancarty
Visitor

Thanks for replies. Shame about MCE.

ITTroll
Visitor

Isn't it the case that standard DVB-T PCI tuner cards will work OK when Freeview starts broadcasting HD?

Granted, we still need HD support adding to Media Center.

kee-lo_

Quite surprised MS hasn't done this yet, as the USA have had it since 1997

chalkywhite
Visitor

Hello, has the situation changed on this one with Windows 7 please?

I have Win7 running on my XL201 with 3GB RAM, 500Gb HDD and a Hauppague twin tuner SD freeview card, the WinTV500.  I can watch two programmes at the same time, and don't want to lose this functionality.

I believe that all Hauppauge Freeview HD cards only allow one stream at once, and yet the latest Humax PVRs will allow two at once.

I'm wondering whether to throw more money at the Vaio in the form of an £80 Freeview HD card, or fork out for a Humax PVR instead?

Ta, Tony

grahamjb33
Visitor

Hey Tony,  you have probably sorted this out now but I thought I would pass on my experience.

I have successfully fitted the Blackgold BGT3620 HD Dual TV Tuner card and the picture quality is fantastic!

Obviously I had to buy a PCI to PCI Express adaptor card and it wouldn't work using XP so bought Full Version of Windows 7 and well worth the £200 total!

I hope this helps someone else on the forum... cheers Baler.

Computer System - Sony VGX-XL201
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Media Centre
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1862 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 4003.003 11/22/06, 22/11/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Startech PCI/PCI Express Adaptor

BGT3620 dual HD Tuner card
Locale United Kingdom
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.12 GB