Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL-46HX853 slow response when turned on

Ryanfsr
Explorer

Sony KDL-46HX853 slow response when turned on

Hi there

First post here, so hopefully I can find someone who might be able to find a solution to my problem :slight_smile:

I've owned a KDL-46HX853 now for just over a year, and since day 1 I have always had a problem with it not responding to the remote inputs for the first 20 seconds or so from turning the TV on.

It's the first Smart TV i've owned, so I just thought it was quite normal considering all the apps and features that are on it.

That was until 6 months ago where I had to have the Sony Engineers out as the TV was turning itself off and back on again through normal viewing.
When they came out, the pressed a series of buttons on the remote which brought up an error log which was indicating that the 'main board' was faulty.

At this point I asked the question whether the slow startup responses could also be a cause of this faulty board, and the chap I spoke to was fairly convinced it could be.

They replaced this a couple of days later (at home), reinstalled the latest firmware from a memory stick and the TV was back up and running. The 'restarting' issue was fixed, but the problem of slow responding startups is still there....

Just wondering if anyone else with this TV experiences the same thing, or do I need to give the tech guys another ring?

Thanks in advance!

Ryanfsr

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This is all quite normal.  The TV is just "booting up" as such like a computer.  Nothing to worry about. 

More information : HERE

Cheers

Ryanfsr
Explorer

Thanks for quick reply Quinnicus! Thats put my mind at ease a little :slight_smile:

Whilst I'm on the subject of slowness though, SEN seems to operate extremely slowy compared to my friends Samsung TV equivilent 'smart features'. Is this just a normal attribute of SEN?

Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using SmartTV features on one TV to another is like comparing apples to oranges.  Two totally different systems, the way it works and TV hardware design, as well as the speed of your internet

Ryanfsr
Explorer

In that case then I'll accept it as it is then :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response, much appreciated!

cthecliffs

we have the same issues, a mind of its own!! Never have been able to make Skype work. Regularly can't access bbc iplayer, Sony blame bbc but my Mac plays the iplayer OK, as does my smaller older Sony TV. Isn't it annoying.

profile.country.en_GB.title
ancousins

Hi

I had this issue, the time from switch on was getting longer and longer before any response from tv, sometimes leaving the " this is available in hd" message across the screen for about 5mins. On a whim I changed the batteries in the remote - bingo , problem cured. I tested the removed batteries with my meter - they show as good, but new batteries must be just that bit stronger. try it, the cost of 2 batteries is minimal.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

If you are having software issues, then definitely worth making sure you have the latest firmware then run a factory reset as this will flush any issues.

@Anonymous is correct over the speed issue as the processing power between TV's and computers is significant although this is being looked at for future models. Historically TV's just had to display an broadcast image, now they have to stream HD data, load heavy applications and generally do a lot more work (much like computers do) and so they are getting a lot quicker very quickly.

Ryanfsr
Explorer

Yep definitely pretty annoying! Have to say I've never had a problem getting the apps open, it's just it takes a really long time for it to do so.

Was watching something through the Iplayer app last week, and it just closed on me half way through... :S

Will give the battery trick a go though! Don't see how that can effect the TV's performance, but for what it costs I guess its worth a shot.

Regarding checking for latest firmware, I guess checking through the TV's menu is the best way to do this?

profile.country.GB.title
cholmes100
Explorer

I have the XBR55900F, takes a very long time to boot. 2 months old. 1:30-1:45 sec to come on. My biggest issue is there is no indication from the TV that lets me know it has recieved the command from the remote. If the light came on then at least I would know. The way it is now is if you press the remote on button more than once then it will turn on/off however many times it was pressed. V V anoying to say the least. Sony should fix this or at least have the light come on.