Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
harrogate74
Explorer

Also having the same problem with our TV (KDL-32EX403). Just spoken to someone on the phone at Sony who tried to reassure me that Sony are aware of the problem and are looking into it. She was, however, unable to say if they have found a way of fixing it through a software upgrade or how long it will take. Like everyone else it seems that we just have to wait, which in this day and age when these TVs are supposed to be smart seems very poor!

Carolelbbs
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem on my kdl-40nx803. 

Software. Pkg4.131euh-0108. Auto Updates set to on. 

First noticed Thursday. 

all other internet working. 

Internet provider local. 

Have factory reset and reloaded all content. No difference. 

I also have a bdp6780. On Thursday I checked out iplayer on this and had the same message

yellow triangle and temporarily unavailable. 

This morning my bdp told me an update was available. Installed this m07.r.0631. Reloaded 

Internet content and iplayer is now not listed. 

Drifter47

This issue with Sony Bravia TVs has also highlighted for me, problems with those who also purchased either separately or as part of a bundle, the Sony BDP-S570 which I went to when the iPlayer stopped working on my Bravia TV. I asked the question why has BBC iPlayer stopped on this device? And this was Sony’s reply;
"The BBC iPlayer website cites maintenance costs of the iPlayer V2 service as being the reason.In March 2014 the BBC informed the market via the BBC blog that they had started rolling out a new version of BBC iPlayer: designed for a multiscreen world, so the experience is consistent, and optimised across PC, tablet, mobile and TV devices. As part of this BBC’s strategy they will, where possible, migrate devices to the new version. The BBC claim that the version iPlayer used on your device, is currently only being used by a small percentage of BBC iPlayer users, and as a consequence has taken the decision to close the version of iPlayer used by your device. Not satisfied with the response I wrote back;
“Thank you …… but I am a little confused. I purchased this product in, I believe, June 2010 and one of the many features this included was the BBC iPlayer which was promoted on the Point of Sale material that was attached to it both on the display model and the one within the package. I have included herewith a copy of the POS material as I feel that I have been misled in purchasing this product that included the BBC iPlayer in 2010 but, on your own admission, withdrawn nearly four years later. The last response I received from Sony Europe was;
“Thank you for your recent e-mail. In reference to your reply, please note that BBC is a feature was added to the Bluray through BBC. Therefore we recommend you to pass your feedback to BBC. Moreover, we appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback and I will gladly pass your concern to the relevant department for future consideration and development. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email. Thank you for your enquiry.”
Is this corporate evasion speak and that consumer groups, Which? should be getting involved in? Okay the TVs will need replacing at some time as they get older but they are longer lasting like mine, still good at five years old. Shouldn’t the likes of Sony now ensure that customers, who are probably brand loyal, some support? After all German car manufacturers are by law in their country meant to stock spares and support for all their vehicle models for a period of ten years after manufacture.

Drifter47 raises points that many of us must be considering. A quick search around the internet shows that UK consumer law can offer up to 6 years rights for electrical goods and that digital content is also covered? The complication is that redress is with the retailer. Any lawyers out there?!

Well done Drifter for keeping the POS material – we may all want copies in due course.

Drifter47 has been sent one of Sony’s responses, but Sony’s front-office staff are providing inconsistent responses. It remains unclear which of the manufacturer’s answers truly represents the line the company is taking with the problem. I summarised them in my post of Thursday 26 November.

Given all that I have read, here and elsewhere, I SUSPECT that a fix may not be forthcoming, but . . .

Whoever in Sony responded to the contact made by me (“the problem is being investigated”) and to Longbow8 (“promise to post a reply here shortly”) seem to be the best people to ask for an update and I propose that we do so next week (1 December, allowing a bit more time for Sony to respond with being prompted). Something along the lines: ‘A number of different responses have been given by Sony to individual complaints about this problem. We understand that developing a solution may take time, but can a statement of Sony’s corporate intent be made, please – eg EITHER we are working on a solution OR we have not yet decided whether to work on a solution OR there will be no solution.’

Of course there is that 'promise' of an update on the BBC iplayer website too (page 2 of this thread)

Longbow8

Thanks to DavidFinClevedon for summarising the position. I agree it remains unclear which Sony response is the real company line. I for one would be very grateful if you contact Sony along the lines you suggest David. Thanks to Drifter47 for the information about POS material. I have now resorted to using my laptop to access iPlayer and displaying the programme via an HDMI cable onto my Bravia. It begs the question whether I should ever go to the expense of buying a 'smart' Sony TV again? Please can I urge everyone else who is suffering from this problem and reading this thread to POST a message confirming they have the problem. This will keep the thread prominent and perhaps encourage Sony to respond with a corporate message.

helix77
New

I have the same problem on my Bravia KDL-32EX403. It seems that all Sony Bravias of that era, of whatever size, are similarly affected.  So how many TV's can that be?  Hopefully too many to be written off as obsolete by Sony.  For me, and many others I suspect, the reason we pay a premium to buy Sony products is for their reliability and longevity. I am a dedicated Sony customer with the Bravia TV, an Xperia Z2 tablet and two cameras - the last one bought this week.  I really did expect better from Sony.

Carolelbbs
Explorer

My bdp s780 was bought in February 2012. It's not yet 4 years old. 

profile.country.en_GB.title
cageyr
Explorer

My KDL-32EX403 is exactly 5 years old and just out of warranty. The two main factors on purchase were Sony reliability and access to iPlayer. I cannot fault the TV reliability and performance.

However, to treat iPlayer as a good selling point 5 years ago and then (apparently) say its unavailability is not Sony's problem is disingenuous. Given how long Sony have known of this as a possible issue, I also find their incoherence in responses to customers very disappointing. 

profile.country.en_GB.title
Cyrax.NET

I have not used iPlayer for maybe a week so only noticed it today.  Same issue.  Fine on pc ofcourse.

KDL-40EX403 PKG4.131EUL-0108

tojohns51
Explorer

Same problem with my KDL 37EX403 TV. Decided to use my BDP S370 Blueray player instead but after a software update the BBC iPlayer app has disappeared completely.Really poor show from any wanabee premium brand manufacturer.