Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
profile.country.en_GB.title
Cyrax.NET

My two cents (not directly relating to this current issue)

What is the point of smart tvs that must be replaced every few years?  I know this current issue seems a technical one but having a 2010 model, it won't be long before we lose iPlayer completely.  YouTube went already, and was hoping to sign up to Amazon streaming or Netflix.  Not even sure if these are supported on a 2010 KDL-EX403?

Most of us spend hundreds or thousands on a 'decent' tv, which is compatible with all the other tech you purchase at the time i.e. home cinema, game consoles, etc.  If we have to change it each time a content provider or manufacture doesn't feel like it is commercially viable, then to me, that is a step backwards for home entertainment.  This is even more so the case for iPlayer funded through a licence fee.

Just read the article from Which? below and this snippet is very apt:

According to the Which? investigation, ‘manufacturers blame the app providers, the app providers blame the manufacturers, and the retailers blame everyone but themselves.

‘Yet in the middle of this, consumers can lose out. Since the product itself hasn’t developed a physical fault, it’s a grey area for consumer rights.'

Personally I will be delving back into home servers, and media streaming.  It is not as user-friendly, especially for other family members, but at least I rettain control.

KSKI76
Explorer

It supports the argue for buying a monitor and them running a seperate apple TV system. (or similar )  

At the moment the number of complainants seems small, and in the hope of reaching a solution, it would make more sense to try and engage Sony and be reasonable - I wonder how many TVs have been sold in the UK, and theowners have not found this thread, or just do not understand the Tech, and think sod it buy a new TV..

Is it a Sony issue or do other manufacturers have this problem....

Longbow8

Thanks to Quinnicus for some feedback from Sony. KSKI76 suggests trying to engage with Sony and be reasonable and broadly speaking I agree. Both Quinnicus and DavidFinClevedon are trying to do just that on our behalf. However in the absence of an official statement by Sony I am worried that the blame will shift back and forth between Sony and the BBC. The latter were quick to put up a message about the problem and I hope they will update it soon.

I have emailed and, separately (to check), spoken to Sony customer support today. In the words of the email: “We can confirm that your case has been escalated for further investigation with BBC and Sony.” Gratifyingly I was told roughly same thing by phone, and this what Quinnicus posted two hours ago. A coherent story at last.

The fixers will need time to do the necessary and I am prepared to wait. BUT! (as stated previously and worth repetition) It would be even better if we had something more informative both from Sony and the BBC.

And:

Agree the observations from Cyrax.NET. As he points out, the TV hardware is still ‘smart’ but our problem is that entertainment software is far from guaranteed to be interoperable.   (Amazon is on the EX403, and was still working when I was trying to diagnose this problem myself)

This is indeed a widespread problem, as the ‘Which’ article states, although it is nothing new. Brunel built a broad gauge railway; technically sensible, but doomed to lose-out (at huge cost). Plenty of modern examples exist, notably in the worlds of sound and video reproduction. (Audio or VHS cassettes anyone?)

The software world moves fast. Plenty of us have Apps (once called programs) that will not run on any PC of a significantly later vintage than that for which it was intended. In the Sony/iplayer case, a facility has been lost within 5 years of being provided – indeed, a pretty short timescale.

As in the whole IT industry, fault messages remain spectacularly useless. “Temporarily cannot access the server” conveys little useful to the user, who may well reset all of the different electronic units within his household in an attempt to regain the link, unaware that the server in question is beyond his control.  

kemowbr
Explorer

Havn't had iplayer for three weeks now.  whats happening?

I am having this problem with a KDL-40EX703 TV.

AntiSony
Explorer

You can count me as another disgruntled Sony Bravia owner with exactly the same problem. I have been waiting for the BBC iPlayer website to provide an update after about a week of being unable to access iPlayer from my smart TV. I was also inconvenienced previously in 2014 when there was a similar problem and I am now very angry that a similar problem has arisen once again and Sony are unable or unwilling to confirm if they are going to provide a fix.

I don't care if Sony do have high quality products because quite frankly, that counts for nothing if they are unable to back that up with good customer service. I was unhappy when YouTube was discontinued, and I'll be even more unhappy if they decide to discontinue the iPlayer service as well. When I bought my TV, I chose it specifically because it provided these services, and I fully expected them to continue for more than 4 years.

I think that this is the type of consumer issue that Watchdog would be interested in covering, and the fact that it is a BBC tv program should not matter. They could still investigate the advertising of Smart TV's and inform consumers of our rights with regard to how long we are entitled to receive the services that are provided. 

Or are we expected to simply accept that TV manufacturers are solely responsible for the hardware during the warranty period, without them being in any way responsible for the future availability of whatever third-party content that the TV provides ? 

kemowbr
Explorer

Do any Sony personnel ever appear in this community?

Funster73
Explorer

Hi GR_Dragons just noticed in your post that your Sky News is working ok. Mine stopped updating a couple of months ago and now I have this same problem with I-Player not working. 

Have you ever had any issues with Sky News not updating ?

my TV is KDL-40EX603 also hard wired.

Has anyone else any issues with Sky News ?

kemowbr
Explorer

sky and amazon are working OK, BBC is the only member in the woodpile.