Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

I've just opened the iPlayer app on my Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523 TV and am faced with a message stating this version of iPlayer is being discontinued in September.

Is there going to be a new version I can use or does this mean iPlayer won't work at all on my TV after September?

105 REPLIES 105

I-player wasn't working yesterday (Sept 6) now working today (Sept 7, 2014)  with a new version/format. Apologies to Sony for doubting them, but some communication would have been nice. 

Falmericon
Explorer

I find it rather odd that, when playing a programme, the new iPlayer has the BBC logo at the top-left, slightly off-screen. Presumably I'm not the only one who gets this?

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

I noticed that as well.

Can anyone see where the time left to watch is shown? The old version showed e.g. 2 days left to watch on the info pane.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Geeezeee
Explorer

Yes, I see that too on my KDL-32CX523 where the BBC logo in the top left just squeezes out of the edge of the frame.

No biggie and it's not a great distraction to me, but it's as if the image is zoomed in slightly so the first 'B' in the logo isn't quite visible.

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

I was checking the new version of iPlayer I now have and it says it's the BigScreen version.

Am I missing something here - I thought it was the Bigscreen vesion that was being retired?

Thank you, this worked!

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bernie-the-Bolt

If you are like me my Bluray, a BDP-S270, now no longer has iPlayer. My TV, a 2010 model still does though but not HD, as you say. Annoying and back to torrent downloads I think!

alhassa54
New

I use my BDP-S185 more for the iPlayer than anything else, which means it is effectively useless now for me.  I hope Sony realise they will lose customers by not offering any upgrade path at all (software, hardware, or even a discount on a replacement purchase...).  So unimaginitive.  Having been a loyal customer in the past, I too will not be going near Sony products in the future.

Grimgreybeard

Totally agree, I'm never buying Sony again. Got my NOW TV box today, I'd recommend it as a replacement to anyone who has been shafted by Sony's failure to offer an upgrade to their blu-ray.

SirCumfy

Agreed.

I think it's farcical that I can't get iPlayer on a two-year old Blu-ray
home cinema system, but I can still get it on my TV which is two years
older, though I can no longer get it in HD.

The irony is I specifically bought the Blu-ray BECAUSE I could get iPlayer
in HD. It seems ridiculous that the more modern kit is apparently less
upgradeable than the old stuff.

I'm already looking for a replacement. The likely candidate doesn't have
Sony on the front, and neither will the replacement TV when I replace it
next year.

I've been buying Sony for years but I really feel let down.