Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN850 Wake on LAN

STR-DN850 Wake on LAN

I'm using the DN850 with a control4 system, but the amplifier disconnects from the wired ethernet connection when switched off so will not switch on with a network command. Does anyone know of a workaround  or some settings changes that can rectify this.....

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It seems that this is a feature available only oversea (see https://docs.sony.com/release/STR-DN1050_DN850_Help_Guide_EN.pdf) ....

MULTI CHANNEL AV RECEIVER STR-DN1050/STR-DN850

Enabling the network function even when this receiver is in standby mode (Network Standby) (for USA, Canadian, and Australian models only)

1. Select [Settings] - [Network Settings] from the home menu.

2. Select [Network Standby].

3. Set to [On] or [Off].

On : The network function works even when the receiver is in standby mode, and the receiver resumes operation when controlled over the network.

Off : The network function turns off when the receiver is in standby mode. The receiver takes more time to resumes operation when powered on again.

Note When the receiver is in standby mode, the (on/standby) indicator on the front panel lights up in amber if [Network Standby] is set to [On].

So this isn't available to european customers....... Can I get a copy of the US firmware? Otherwise the receiver is pretty useless if it won't actually come on.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I don't think it is possible, nor it's adviceble and probably it doesn't solve the problem (could be something at lower hw level or in the configuration of the device).

In any case this is the link of the US site http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=STRDN850&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/dow...

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@rooobb

Yes it is possible, at least as far as my STR-DN1040 (UK Model) goes. Setting my receiver as per the documentation above allows me to wake my receiver when streaming audio via 'AirPlay', I use this feature all the time. It's interesting to note this paragraph though: (for USA, Canadian, and Australian models only) Maybe Sony have since changed this???

Why it doesn't work for the other member I cannot say for sure, maybe a network issue or firewall problem. I had to change a setting in my firewall when I first bought this receiver.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Thanks for the remark @MK_Slinky. I was referring to the possibility of installing the US firmware onto UK receiver.

But if you say you have the oprion enabled in your UK model by default, maybe the manual is outdated so probably @joewbarrell you can check it if it is available also in your STR-DN850

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@rooobb

Sorry I wasn't implying that you got it wrong, I put the wrong user name at the start of my last post which should have read @joewbarrell. I've booked an eyesight test!!! LOL!!

BTW, I don't know if this is relevant but as found in my manual under 'Network Settings' it mentions the following....., maybe @joewbarrell needs to set this on his device also?

Device Name.jpg

P.S. Thanks for the Kudos! :wink:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

Thanks for the replies but unfortunately this doesn't resolve the issue of the LAN port being switched off when the amp goes into standby so it becomes essentially deaf to any network communication which seems ridiculous. Seems poor to me that this should be the case.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

May I ask what exactly you're trying to do with this receiver? What device are you trying to use to wake the receiver?

As far as my STR-DN1040 is concerned I believe it can only be woken by a supported iOS device or iTunes from a PC, are you trying to do the same thing or something different?

profile.country.GB.title
tomjs1
Explorer

Here is how to enable / disable and use Wake on LAN

1- You can either right click on the Start button or use the shortcut keys Win+X, and then select Device Manager from the menu that appears.

2- From the Device Manager, you have to click on Network Adapters, then select your Ethernet adapter from the list.

3- After the Ethernet adapter has been clicked on, you need to right click on it and choose Properties.

4- Next click on the Power Management tab. Three checkboxes will be displayed under this tab: “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

5- Check all three checkboxes, and click on OK.

6- Now click on the Advanced tab and select Wake on Magic Packet from the Properties list. In the Value box, make sure the chosen setting is “Enabled”; if it is not, go ahead and change it to Enabled.

Source:- https://merabheja.com/enable-disable-and-use-wake-on-lan/