Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 limitations

profile.country.CZ.title
jamie1

STR-DN1080 limitations

Frankly said, I'm disgusted by the artificial limitations of DN1080 AVR.

What I found so far:

- Remote Start

- Network Standby

- Zone 2 connectors

- subwoofer in A.F.D. mode

All of these features available only in case of units for US and Canada.

In Europe we have to pay more, but we're getting less.

I've spent recently quite some money and invested into new Sony TV, AVR, BD Player and PlayStation.

But it's making me mad when the features which used to work before (like remote start of AVR from PC via network) are now restricted.

Next time I'll have to consider a different brand.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @jamie1 - thank you for your feedback, I have shared this with the relevant team for you.  Thanks, C

profile.country.GB.title
MiteBe
Explorer

Hi jamie1, I don't use some of those functions but could you expand on the "subwoofer in A.F.D mode" issue? 

profile.country.GB.title
Suddzz
Explorer

Absolutely correct, am shocked and disappointed with the lack of these features, why where they not implemented in the European model? Also the TV Side View and SongPal/Music centre apps rarely work, never picks up the reciever!!! Am packing this unit up and shipping it back am that disappointed in it! 😡 Once again we get ripped off and am ***** sick of it, massive Sony fan, only equipment not Sony under the telly is the SKY box... and sending this to the “revelent team” is going to do nothing! Severely ***** off

profile.country.GB.title
banaanimeri
Explorer

I totally agree. I would like to return it, but unfortunately Amazon seems to allow only 30-day returns.

Any idea if these limitations are software based and could we flash US firmware on the device?

profile.country.CZ.title
jamie1

Except Zone 2 connectors, which are physically missing, I'd guess that the other features are really software limitations only. God only knows what's in the background. I can imagine some EU regulations about stand-by power consumption. But if so, than there're other guys to blame...

profile.country.GB.title
Suddzz
Explorer

Physical connectors aside, I am now happy with my 1080, after figuring out that is in fact NOT a problem with the app or the system, it is actually down to Bluetooth on the iPhone... it does not connect automatically, you have to enter Bluetooth settings and tap on the device. Once paired if in standby mode it will auto turn on. Slight problem with this (and this is Sony’s side) is, if you are say watching Sky or on the PS4, Xbox etc... once connected via Bluetooth it changes the input to Bluetooth music, abit of a pain in thee *****, but away to auto turn on via your device nevertheless 👍🏻

profile.country.GB.title
banaanimeri
Explorer

I fixed it!

I have got zero idea what it was that actually helped eventually, but now I see chromecast, airplay and spotify devices all the time in my network. Even when the receivd has been turned off for days. Once I start using any of them, the receiver automatically turns on and sets itself to correct mode.

At one point I tried to change what type of Spotify device it is. Not sure if that made any difference.

Next up, the recevier had huge issues once I installed my new Cisco Meraki WiFi access point. It was getting a new IP after every few minutes, though the DHCP server was the same as it had been before. I was so lost with the issue and the only thing left to try was to assign a static IP. Even that went very painfully. The WebUI sucks balls to be generous and eventually it was no help. I somehow managed to do it with OSD menus, but it was not something that was a success after a first try. No idea what is the secret recipe.

Either way, after I had done these everything is muy bien now and I almost feel bad that I have named the airplay device as "Stupid receiver".

profile.country.CZ.title
jamie1

Interesting... Do you have Spotify Premium account?

profile.country.GB.title
banaanimeri
Explorer

Yup, I have spotify premium. But actually my success might be related to
installing the android app from Sony