Join now - be part of our community!

Sony streaming speakers (SRS-ZR5) do not really reset when performing hard resets

profile.country.DK.title
CopenhagenSonyUser
New

Sony streaming speakers (SRS-ZR5) do not really reset when performing hard resets

Hi

I have an issue with all my Sony speakers. I mainly use SRS-ZR5 units and recently did a hard reset by pressing volume down and the power button as per the instructions. You would think this would reset the speakers completely but this is not the case. When you setup the speakers they will not ask for password if you try to connect them to a wifi they have previously been connected to. So the wifi and wifi password is still saved in the units. I suspected it could be the Sony Music Center app which stored the wifi information so i tried to use a phone with a clean install to test this and the units still could connect to previous used networks.

There are two issues with this behaviour:

A)

It is a security concern that the information of the previous used networks is stored in the units even though you hard reset them.

B)

Even after you hard reset the units, you are unable to connect to any new wifi network.

You can "bypass" this by naming a new wifi network and giving them the same password exactly as a previous used network. But that is quite impractical if you want to relocate them completely.

Anyone who knows how to truly hard reset them?

Regards

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, I kept trying this model on Sony's support page but it didn't come up. Are you sure it is correct? What year was it manufactured on?

profile.country.DK.title
CopenhagenSonyUser
New

profile.country.DK.title
CopenhagenSonyUser
New

Just discovered that i did in fact had the wrong model name in my original post. I left out an R. It is called SRS-ZR5. Sorry.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey CopenhagenSonyUser, I've checked the manual for you and it should delete all the network/Bluetooth settings. That might be a fault with your unit. Try contacting Sony directly.

profile.country.DK.title
CopenhagenSonyUser
New

I have six of them that all behaves in the same manner so assume it is a bug in the software. Will try Sony again

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Do let us know what happens. I'm curious.