Join now - be part of our community!

Hard drive renewal & recovery ?

profile.country.GB.title
wistewa60
Explorer

Hard drive renewal & recovery ?

I have a sony svf1521c2eb , I bought it 3years ago new . It`s a nice computer but the wifi connection is rubbish ! Sony sent me a dongle but that barely improved performance . A year ago it packed up with a blue screen with error code 0xc000014c , saying :~ ' It needs to be repaired . The operating system couldn`t be loaded because the registry file is missing or has errors `. My discs are in the UK , I`m in the US . I gave up and bought a Mac ~~~ Brilliant ! The Sony is far too good to throw away , so I have been looking around to see how I might repair and update it . I want to install a samsung 850 ss hard drive , or an appropriate ssd if someone can advise , and put in a better wireless card. Reading others comments , I gather that a new wireless card will just create more problems can someone advise if it can be done ? I would still like to renew the hard drive . If I do this and reinstall the OS :-

!. Will it work ?

2. Can I then rescue my old files on the original hard drive using a SATA connection and put them back into the computer which hopefully work with a new ssd ?
I think I can manage the mechanical issues , but would really appreciate some advice from an expert . Thank you .

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi wistewa60,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

We'd recommend getting in touch with Sony Support here who will be able to help.

Do let us know how you get on?

Thanks,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
wistewa60
Explorer

Thanks for your reply , I have now sent my questions to Sony Support . No response to date .

I have to say I find the Sony sites very difficult to navigate . Perhaps it`s my incompetence , perhaps beause I`m uk based but at present in the US !