Join now - be part of our community!

Fractured Sony MDR-1000x

profile.country.GB.title
padamban
Explorer

Fractured Sony MDR-1000x

Hi,

I've got my 1000X nearly 8 months ago. Since I used it daily at my office job, on airplanes or buses.
I took good care of it, storing in the case every time when I wasn't using it, and always avoiding to stress the strucrure.

I bought this product because I own several other Sony products that are working for years now. (e.g.: At home I am using an Sony RF headphone for 5 years now.) So I thought if I am buying this one the build quality, the materials will be good, especially for the price.

My problem that recently when I was flexing them to put on my head I noticed that the plastics near both of the joints have open fractures. I noticed now, but they must have been growing for a couple of weeks now.

So disappointed....

After searching the web I have seen this problem popping up often around the 6 month of use. So, I think the inner plastic is not strong enough and slowly gave in, and the outer plastic also started to have micro-fractures because the inner part wasn't rigid enough.

I returned the product at Saturn Karlsruhe, Germany (where I bought it). They said their warranty doesn't cover this. Hover they can send it to Sony and they might fix it, however if Sony says that their warranty also doesn't cover it, I have to pay the shipping fees. 

So now what should I expect from Sony? Will they send it back without repair, with repair or give a refound...?

The issue is that even if they replace all the bad parts, they will be still of the same bad material, and in 7 months I will have a the same issue without a warranty.

So I would prefer to get the money back, or at least change to a different product.

Regards,

Peter 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Peter, welcome to the Sony UK Community :slight_smile:

As far as I understand it, UK warranty on headphones is on a return-to-retailer basis, and Sony do not normally repair them. You retailer should deal with this and either replace or refund.

Hope that's of some help.

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
padamban
Explorer