Join now - be part of our community!

RX10 IV

profile.country.GB.title
daviddmorison
New

RX10 IV

I've just received my RX10 IV with the intention of it eventually replacing my Canon 7DII telephoto setup which is now too heavy to carry any distance. My main interest is wildlife photgraphy so the ultra fast AF was a big attraction. However after just one days use I am ready to send it back! Yes the AF is brilliant, catching birds in flight easily but the definition is appalling! I have been using a Nikon P900 as a travel camera and more recently for wildlife in place of the Canon DSLR outfit as it is so much lighter and the definition from this camera at the same settings is a league better than the RX10 IV. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong as I have 50 years of photography experience and never had such disappoiting results. Any thoughts please before I return it?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi David, 

Welcome to the community.

That's a shame. This camera does have HDMI settings so you should be able to achieve great definition. Perhaps, you could post some images and more details of the settings you are currently using so that we can look into this? Also, there is an online help guide for more information about settings  here.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
CWT000
Explorer

This camera has a 1" sensor so the image quality is not going to be as good as the 7D which has a cropped sensor. Nevertheless, I moved to the RX10 from a Canon 6D full frame with a 100-400 L series for the same reason as you - weight. Being able to carry a camera with a 600mm lens in one hand has enormous benefits and I now find the image quality perfectly OK. I rarely print bigger than A4 but even the few A3s that I have printed have been quite acceptable.  Maybe you have a faulty camera1

profile.country.GB.title
daviddmorison
New

I do know how to set up a camera and this one didn't produce a quality image, especially at the longer focal lengths, whichever way I used it. I returned it to the supplier and received a full refund (with some difficulty!). I have now purchased another RX10 IV from a different supplier and right from the word go it was just as I would expect - top quality. I can't imagine that Sony's quality control is poor enough to allow the supply of a camera of so poor quality but there you have it. As a matter of interest the combination of lens and sensor in the RX10 produces an image quality equivalent to the Canon 7DII plus Sigma 150-600mm Sport except in very high contrast situations or at high ISO settings. The AF is remarkable for most situations but cannot focus in as low light as the Canon, which can focus in almost complete darkness, or indeed the Nikon P900 but is superior to both in good light.

profile.country.GB.title
daviddmorison
New

This Great White Egret was photographed from 300 metres with the RX10 mk4. I wouldn't have been able to get a shot as good as this from the 7DII plus Sigma!DSC05918.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
elrincon
Explorer

Hi I am also one of those older types, I use the Nikon D7500 with the Nikon 20-500mm lens "very heavy" so tried the Nikon P900 nice bit of kit but slow focusing even though it is one of the best "Bridge" cameras, now got the Sony RX10mk4 focus speed very fast, Image quality excelent now getting used to it, this Sony camera is not for non photographers or basic starters of course it will not be as good as a Pro fullframe but for me both the sony and that P900 Nikon will replace my DSLRs.

I am also a wildlife photographer now out here in Spain previously in the Forest of Dean Glos.

Just about to buy a book on the Sony RX10 so i can use it to its best. (Amazon)

profile.country.GB.title
dfm1951
Explorer

Hi - I have read all the 'I've changed to the Sony because my Canon kit is getting a little heavy' comments. I have also done the same and I am still uncertain about the quality of the images unless I am quite close to the subject. Certainly the tracking of the subject is very competent but I cannot see how to get all points working to capture the subject. I currently have only about 12 points trying to focus and that's set to 'wide'.

As for stationery subjects I am not sure if the Sony can match the bigger lenses even with the extra reach. I am still testing this but I set my camera to 'M' and dial in my own settings.

Has anyone got any advice on best settings for BIF as well as perched birds? 

profile.country.GB.title
elrincon
Explorer

I have purchased the "photographers guide to the Sony DSC-RX10 IV"

Quite expensive but worth it, far better that the "hand book"?.

Well written and very comprehensive.

I think a requirement for this complex camera, as it is not like your usual "Bridge Camera" .

Or you could just play with the settings until you are happy----.

I do not prefer the later though.