Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HDR-CX240 Handycam Power Bank

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

Sony HDR-CX240 Handycam Power Bank

I normally use my Camcorder (Sony HDR-CX240 Handycam) with the official power supply AC adaptor provided by Sony if I think any filming may be more than 2 hours. Today I tested the recording time (without the power supply AC adaptor connected) and the battery went flat around 2 hours and 3 seconds.

I am wondering if any power bank is available that is suitable for this Camcorder which can charge the battery while the Camcorder is filming as I will not always have access to the mains power.

Many thanks for any replies.

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

I haven't had any reply on this forum yet.

Nevertheless I found this link: https://www.sony-mea.com/en/electronics/universal-portable-battery-chargers 

However, it is unclear exactly which specific model Sony Portable Charger is compatible with my Camcorder.

I hope it is available in my region (Egypt) because I am afraid to use a portable charger from another manufacturer.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

What exactly are you trying to try?

Need a charger or a power bank?

If you want to check how a non Sony power bank is behaving then just plug in any power bank you can use from a friend and then decide what to do.

In case it works buy any powerful power bank you like.

Same applies to any portable charger.

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

It's a power bank that I need. I will be filming soon, for maybe more than two hours, without AC power and I need to keep the battery charging so that it does not run out of battery while I am filming, if this is possible.

I have one at home which is basically this model but it's only 6000 mAh: https://www.telemart.pk/miniso-jp-61-6000-mah-portable-power-source-in-pakistan.html I don't know if 6000 mAh is enough as I get the impression the Sony models are 10000 mAh.

Basically I have no experience of using this power bank on a Camcorder but only on a mobile phone and I want to make sure that it does not damage the Camcorder as it is a non Sony accessory.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Don't be afraid.

All power banks give more or less the same output.

See how long you can extend battery life with your 6000 mAh.

Test it tomorrow.

Start filming anything and see when the recorder stops.

Don't push it to the limits.

Batteries live longer when not charged more than 90% and not discharged les than 10%

You can change these figures to your liking like 95 and 5 or 85 and 15.

It's just the idea. Fully charged reduced battery life as well as fully discharged.

Also the number of charging cycles reduce battery capacity.

So it's not a bad idea at all to support your camera's battery with an external one.

BTW All brands from camera manufacturers to cart manufacturers will say that you should use products from their own brand.

First: it makes them able to control the quality Second: it generates new cash flow

Third: is a way to escape from warranty claims.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

In most cases branded articles are better than unbranded articles.

That is true for all global brands.

It's the quality control and smaller tolerances from the given standard that make these products stand out.

In the end it's competition in quality and price in search for consumer's attention.

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

Thanks for your replies. I will hold on to find the correct Sony accessory if it exists in my region. I still have the time.

I actually saw a YouTube video of someone removing the battery and using a similar camcorder but without the battery and using a Power Bank. Not sure why they did that and didn't just keep the battery in the camcorder.

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

Since my last post I've been doing some testing and reading about batteries as well as running down this battery in the camcorder and charging it again to check its running time.

The lithium ion battery for this camera is model number NP-BX1 with a storage capacity of 1240 mAh. My current power bank is 6000 mAh which I guess is sufficient.

I have three questions at this stage:

(1) If the battery fails I guess the camcorder will use the power bank if it the sole power source. Is this correct?

(2) Does the AC power adapter and/or power bank actually charge the battery at the same time as when the camcorder is running?

(3) Is there available on the market a Sony battery suitable for this camcorder but with a higher mAh capacity?

Many thanks for any replies.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

I wouldn't bother to buy a Sony powerbank, even if it exists.

Use the powerbank you have.

When you plug in a power bank it will start charging your camera battery just like an AC charger does.

I would plug that 6000 mAh into the camera and film.

Sometimes a device gets hickups when external power is applied during operation.

So I'd attach the powebank to the camera, plug it in and then start filming.

Or I'd test what happens when you plug in the powerbank while filming.

Do so before the moment arrives that it is important to create a smooth film.

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

This sounds like a good idea. I have time to test filming before the actual filming day and will try it in the way you said.

I guess that Sony do not provide higher capacity batteries for this model of camcorder.

When I was last filming there was a lot of interference because of wind as I was filming outdoors. I am not sure if anything can be done about this. I don't think any external microphone is compatible with this camcorder.

When I am editing I sometimes have to use an application called Handbrake to increase the audio decibels of the film.