Join now - be part of our community!

Wirelessly connecting my Dell Latitude laptop running Windows 10 Pro to my Sony Bravia KD-65AF9

Wirelessly connecting my Dell Latitude laptop running Windows 10 Pro to my Sony Bravia KD-65AF9

I am attempting to wirelessly connect my Dell Latitude 5414 laptop running Windows 10 Pro to my KD-65AF9 to display topographical raster mapping detail with Garmin device and IFS, but cannot seem to be able to do so.

Screen Mirroring, which I believe was available on previous Android TV models does not seem to exist in the HOME/APPS of the AF9 and I am at a loss on what to do next. 

Do I need to purchase Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter V2 or similar device, to be able to achieve what I want to do?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Try Transmit Desktop from a Chrome Browser on PC... That work with integrated Chromecast on Android TV.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Vantage3035 

This laptop has got an HDMI port, almost certainly an output; why not use that?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

This works well.  From my brief reading, Sony are phasing out the extend screen option because it has been unstable. Chromecast and duplicating screen is the only optinon available.  (In order to extend screen one needs HDMI cable or more hardware ie a dongle)  

If all you want to do is Duplicate or Cast your Laptop Screen by wifi (cheapest and easiest):
Easiest way I found was Open Chrome
Click the 3 vertical dots for Extra Options
Click on "Cast"
Click on the Sony KD 65A8 (in my case) and choose Casting of Chrome Tab or Desktop or Files

It would seem that i bashed my head against the wall for ages trying to use Wifi Direct and this is NOT how to extend/duplicate the screen, apparently its for playing/sharing/transferring files.  So don't get caught in a loop trying to get this to work like I did. I became the definition of insanity by repeatedly tring to do something that wasn't working!

Does anyone have a nice idea for screen extension rather than duplication?  is it a chromecast connected to one of the HDMI ports?  Can a google Chromecast be connected to the AV receiver instead of the tv?  Any tips and tricks welcome.

Some replies have always been "just use a hardwire HDMI" but its not easy for some of us. my TV is hung flush to the wall and at great expense (for my wife's sake) there are ZERO cables visible.  Its like just a picture frame hanging A8 OLED.  So for many of us the aesthetics are important and a wireless solution is required