Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-85X9000H & UK Apps

mtlear
New

Sony KD-85X9000H & UK Apps

Hi

I have a non-uk sony android TV KD-85X9000H which I brought back with me when moving back to the uk

Is there any way to get the UK apps on here -  ITV, 4od and Sky etc?

Only one i can get and working is iplayer.

I have tried resetting everything from scratch but the UK apps don't load and I have tried side loading android versions of these apps but none of them work properly

thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
mtlear
New

iplayer actually appears in sony select and works, but no sign of 4od, itv or sky?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@mtlear 

The TV is fundamentally different from the UK models, having no satellite tuners, but at least you are doing better than I did when I brought a TV back from Spain, where you don’t need a DVB-T2 tuner, as they have HD on DVB-T. So Samsung didn’t fit the DVB-T2 tuner that is needed in the UK for HD, on these Spanish models.

So no UK HD from it, as an absolute hardware limitation.

And your set at least has both, so as long as you don’t want satellite, you might have all the hardware you need, for both SD and HD Terrestrial.

But UK sets come with YouView, and the itv and All4 players only come with that, so you won’t get them unless you can give your TV a big enough personality change to accept the UK software.

Which you probably can’t, even if you can find the secret menu where you do region changes, and your set offers UK. (And no, I don’t know how to find the secret menu on Sony TVs; and you may need what they call a ‘service remote’ to access it).

But if you are happy with how your set works in the UK, apart from these and possibly other apps, I suggest you leave it as it is, and get a Stick (I usually recommend Roku, but they don’t have Britbox (yet?) so the Amazon Firestick may suit you better) to provide the missing UK apps.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi mtlear, I'm afraid changing region might be an obstacle to do this.