Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A1 (OLED) and Apple TV 4K issues

profile.country.GB.title
Pavel_Pr
Explorer

Sony A1 (OLED) and Apple TV 4K issues

Hello!

I am the owner of a "65 A1 TV and an Apple TV 4K and am experiencing some issues. I hoped that someone would have a tip for me, or let me know that I am not alone in this.

When woken after being on standby for a certain period  (could be one hour or more), the TV will not detect any signal over the HDMI port (HDMI 2) to which the Apple TV 4K is connected. The screen would flash slightly, in what appears to be an attempt at establishing a handshake, but that attempt will ultimately fail. 

When the above occurs, the HDMI input in question becomes unstable even when connected with other devices (for instance, connecting a PS4 Pro will result in unstable image). Subsequently, the only way to regain proper connectivity on that particular HDMI port is to power cycle the TV itself (not the Apple TV). After the TV is power cycled, everything works properly again. By power cycling, I mean soft-restart ("About" -> "Restart") as well.

Playing with CEC-related settings on the Apple TV appears to significantly affect the incidence of this issue, but will not eliminate it outright. Moreover, disabling Enhanced HDMI on the TV eliminates this issue, but at the cost of HDR support – which is significant.

Both devices are updated to their latest respective software releases. There appears to be some state corruption that is occurring during standby (applicable to Enhanced HDMI mode), which clears after the TV is power cycled.

Did anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks!

P.S. Could anyone explain what exactly happens with the HDMI ports or controllers during a power cycle or a soft-restart?

43 REPLIES 43
profile.country.GB.title
nickp66
Explorer

Hi Roob. Il check it out but I think I had flashing problem on hdmi 2 even with Apple TV set to 1080p. FYI It is hdmi3 that is ARC and works!  Thanks for you thoughts though.  I don’t think bandwidth is the issue as this only happens on startup

profile.country.GB.title
nickp66
Explorer

Hi All,

A Status Update after a couple of days  -  using HDMI 3 and pairing sony TV with soundbar via bluetooth continues to work pretty well.  I have ordered a CEC Killer and hope to be able to try out this solution shortly. 

I was wondering why the CEC killer would fix the issue. Does anybody actually know what is causing the tv picture to flash on and off on start up.  Tried to work out what sound formats blue tooth connection supports but not much luck.

Any feedback appreciated.  Nick

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@nickp66  schrieb:

Not sure what sound modes I can get through Bluetooth

Only transcoded stereo SBC.

Is this hardware fault I can get fixed ?

This is not a hardware issue but software incompatibility between Apple and Sony. I don't know who is to blame. Sony obviously blames Apple. But they always blame others even if it is obviously wrong.

profile.country.GB.title
nickp66
Explorer

@Kuschelmonscht - Thanks for your comments.  

Bad New i'm afraid.  The CEC killer has not stopped the flashing screen on start up. The screen still flashes on and off twice when i turn on the apple tv.  

I have  reverted to using the soundbar in hdmi 3 (ARC) and apple tv in hdmi 2 . 

Beginning to think this will never get fixed. I've replaced apple tv and tested on same model tv in shop and same problem.  This is,as mentioned a software issue and really needs to be fixed!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It may not apply to you but did you check that your apple TV is set to output to 4:2:0 in HDR?
profile.country.GB.title
nickp66
Explorer

hi robobb,   I have tried various output formats on Apple TV, right now it’s set to Dolby vision 4K 50hz. I don’t think I have access to change 4:2:0 setting. I’ve seen it mentioned in enhanced hdmi setting on Sony tv.  

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It is a setting on the device not the TV...
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @nickp66,

The video link posted by my colleague @rooobb is merely intended to demonstrate that the chroma subsampeling must be changed on the Apple TV, however the information provided in the video is of extremely poor quality, as it contains false information about the differences between chroma subsampeling standards.

For a short and clear explanation of the topic, I suggest you view this video. For a long and detailed explanation about setting up your Apple TV and a 4K HDR capable TV, I suggest you view this video. If you still have setup questions, I suggest you open a new thread of your own in order for us to better target information to your specific questions.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I didn't even look at the whole video... I only see that it shown the option to set chroma on ATV;)

profile.country.GB.title
nickp66
Explorer

Hi All

I watched all the videos and I get the point about the different chroma settings affecting the colour and picture quality.  I'm not sure why this setting would have any effect on the picture flashing issue I mentioned though.  Unless of course, the theory is the hdmi port cant handle higher 4:2:2 setting and is resetting. 

@rooobb  I now know where the menu option is thanks to first video. 

@dutchice Your suggested videos are very clear.

Should I repost this issue in a separate thread then ?