Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 2017 ATV (KD49XE9005) - Wired ethernet vs AC Wifi

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
hijinx

Sony 2017 ATV (KD49XE9005) - Wired ethernet vs AC Wifi

Hi all,

Has anyone compared performance for 2017 Android TV based sets between the 100mbit wired ethernet and the AC Wifi?

Theoretically AC wifi has a higher throuput when the stars align, but environmental issues often reduce. Indeed in my house the signal strength by my TV is low.

Do either offer better/best performance for streaming services... particularly Amazon seems to be suffering from buffering issues. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Even at best conditions, AC WiFi performance on Sony TVs is very low. Most of the time it is better to go with the 100mbps Ethernet port, also see here.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Even at best conditions, AC WiFi performance on Sony TVs is very low. Most of the time it is better to go with the 100mbps Ethernet port, also see here.

profile.country.GB.title
hijinx

Thanks indeed.

I'm glad I didnt bother to move my AP, or to add another AP to my wifi network.

profile.country.GB.title
hijinx

Btw thanks for the linked doc...

superb summary of all the software and soc failings of what is otherwise a great tv.

im probably going to have to get an Apple  tv 4K to replace the majority of the tv operation...

profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

I'm glad you mention the Apple Tv 4k since the retailer I purchased this tv and its soundbar from in June keeps blaming it for the HDMI issues I've been having. I found there were wifi issues with this tv and I have been told by Sony that the range is 5 metres. I purchased two devolo powerline adaptors which seems to have solved the connectivity issues. However what this means is that I have a wired ethernet connection. Also I purchased an umanaged switch to provide internet access for the blu-ray player and sky box. Initially I connected the apple tv to the switch but when I ran a speed test I was getting a mere 27 Mb/s. However when I took out the ethernet cable and returned to wifi I achieved 383 Mb/s on my ac band. The apple tv sits inside a stand. What does this say about Sony? I  will be interested to hear about your experience with your apple tv 4k and this Tv.