Join now - be part of our community!

No optical out sound when streaming from the internet

keithscarfe
Explorer

No optical out sound when streaming from the internet

I have a kdl50w805cbu and have recently started using the on-line streaming services. I have noticed however that I don't get any sound output from the optical tosh link when playing something from these services. Thus I get no sound from my home cinema amplifier. I have tried a couple of different services (Amazon and Sony) but neither give this sound. It works fine when playing normal freeview tv. I cant see any settings in the menus for this.

Does anyone else notice this? Is it a known problem with Sony/Android or is it something to do with my set up? Can any one help?

Thanks.

Keith.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

What is the make/model of your AV reciever- as this is the crucial link in the puzzle.

Cheers

keithscarfe
Explorer

Good point. It is quite an old thing now but i would have thought it should still play the sound OK. It is a Sony DAV-SC8.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As it works for Freeview, there is no reason for it not to work on other internet services.  Does it work in YouTube for example or a video file from a usb drive?

In the sound settings of the tv, set Digital audio out to Auto 2 and test.  If that fails, set it to PCM.

On the DAV system (yes it is ancient by todays standards :slight_smile: ) set the sound field to A.D.F. Auto.

See if that has an effect?

keithscarfe
Explorer

Thanks. I'll give those settings a go later.

keithscarfe
Explorer

Still no joy.

I found a setting in the sound settings of the TV for 'Digital Audio Out' bit it is not changeable, is greyed out but it is set to PCM that you mention. I can not set it to anything else like 'Audio 2'. Is there another setting somewhere else to enable this to be adjusted do you know?

I set the Amp to ADF Auto (and tried all the other settings) but this made no difference. 

All still works when watching normal freeview TV but not when watching any of the apps that stream over the internet.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Does anyone even use the optical out from the TV?

Thanks.

Keith.

profile.country.GB.title
timodell

I am using optical out from my 755c and get sound from all sources through my amp - my problem is that most streaming services seem to be 2.0 rather than 5.1 so I am looking for a definitive list of what sources ( other than Freeview and Sky) pass through in 5.1 Anyone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@keithscarfe 

Sorry that i didnt get back to you.  With Xmas and all, i forgot.  However, if its still not working, can you please post back, and ill escalate thus to Sony Support because im out of ideas im afraid.

Cheers

keithscarfe
Explorer

Thanks. It is still defo not working. I would like an answer so yes if it not too much bother could you escalate this to Sony Support.

Thanks.

Keith.