Join now - be part of our community!

KD-32W800

profile.country.GB.title
Gromit
Explorer

KD-32W800

Just bought this Sony Tv. I'm trying to schedule a recording to a usb hard drive - this is what the online manual says

1. Press Quick settings > Navigation keys down > Record > Schedule list and press OK.
  2. Follow the on-screen instruction. Use Navigation keys to select and set the settings.

So I can't get to Record > Schedule list and beyond, no on screen instructions etc. I've tried doing from the guide and live tv - nothing works. I've had sony tv's before never had this kind of problem.

Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Gromit 

Can you play existing recordings from that hard drive?

Is it formatted the way the TV requires?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

This is a 2021 model TV, so I guess  you have bought it second hand, can you confirm this.

Have you registered/ formatted the USB HDD with the TV?

Perhaps you only get the Recording> Schedule and on screen instructions when an HDD has

been correctly formatted for use with the TV.

A USB HDD formatted for use on another Sony TV will not be able to record on this TV (or view).

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iaepm1/v1/en/4_6_3_formatting.html

Anymore information on this TV and the USB device you are trying to record to would be helpful.

profile.country.GB.title
Gromit
Explorer

Thanks for the replies. I bought the tv new in John Lewis a couple of days ago.

Yes I formatted and registered the usb drive, and also recorded to it using the record button on the handset. I could play back the recording and deleted it, so it's being recognised by the tv.

I have a humax box and a QM2 sound bar both connected via HDMI, both are recognised and working with the tv. Everything seems to be working fine, it's just this schedule recording and the way to access it is a problem.I've tried many times without success

I've had Sony tv's for years they've been great and have come with clear instructions in a manual, this one has a couple of pages and that's it.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Okay as this  s a 3 year old TV it is possible it has been sitting around for quite some time

and therefore has not been updated to the latest software.

You can get the most recent update here,

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-w80x-series/kd-32w800/software/00300768

Access to manuals here,

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-32w800/manuals

Are you able to share screen shots of your TV after pressing the Quick Settings button, then after pressing the navigation key Down, and so forth.

If you still have problems and can't find a resolution you can take it back to John Lewis and get it swapped out

for another.

profile.country.GB.title
Gromit
Explorer

Ok - I think I've sussed it, if so it's crap!!

To record to the usb drive the recording schedule has to be set up manually! details have to be typed in, date, start time end time etc. etc.etc.- it's absolute rubbish!

If you know of an easier way please let me know.

On my old Sony Bravia KDL26EX553 to record to usb is easy,  in the tv guide select the programe, press ok and the timer is set for single or repeat recordings.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Yeah that could be right I do remember other posts from either a few months or perhaps longer describing this as

'going back to the early days of video tape recording and setting recordings'.

No good. At least you have the Humax PVR to record on.

Check with John Lewis on their returns policy and see if you can swap it out for another brand that allows

USB recording if that is what you want to do.

profile.country.GB.title
Gromit
Explorer

Thanks for the info davey, I'll consider returning if I can.

I can use the usb recording on the old tv which is fine, just fancied a slightly bigger screen. I prefer the picture on the old sony and a minor thing I've discovered is that in the guide all the BBC channels from 001 are HD you have to scroll to the 600's to get none HD.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

From my own experience on a different model of Sony TV the HD channels such as BBC 1, BBC 2,

ITV 1, Channel 4, Channel 5,  BBC 4 are tuned to the 100's, 101 for BBC 1, 102 for BBC 2 and so forth.

The standard definition channels are set at 1,2,3,4,5 and 24 for BBC 4.

With my Sony TV you can down load the Sony Channel Editor which opens on your PC/ Mac and 

reorder the TV channel listings to your preference, upload to a USB memory stick and apply to theTV.

I am not sure if this is available for your particular model.

Also try Settings (remote control), Settings onscreen> Channels & Inputs> Channels> Channel List Edit.

profile.country.GB.title
Gromit
Explorer

Thanks davey, you've been very helpful.