Join now - be part of our community!

Hybrid Log-Gamma

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

Hybrid Log-Gamma

My TV = KD65X8509C
Version 6.0.1
Current Build 3.925

I read here - http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/140771/related/1 -

Hybrid Log-Gamma was added at the end of May in the Android 7.0 Nougat Firmware update for Specific Tvs

I am aware my tv will not recieve Nougat yet and the Software update schedule will be announced during autumn 2017 for my TV as stated here - http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/141165 -

However here - https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-x85xxc-series/kd-65x8509c/downloads/00014... - It says the Build 3.925 my tv received a few days ago (November 2017) contains Hybrid Log Gamma as a previous benefit.

Just a little confused .. So

Does my TV currently have Hybrid Log-Gamma That i thought was only available with Nougat?

And is my TV currently up to date with firmware.   My TV = KD65X8509C Version 6.0.1 Current Build 3.925

Thank you in advance  Helen

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Marshmallow only supports HLG via HDMI, but not via built-in apps.

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

Yes it says in the 3rd Link i provided.

Was hoping could give me some clarification regarding my questions

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

He hasn't been around for some months now.

Yes, your TV is up-to-date with 3.925 and yes, your TV is supposed to do HLG, but only for HDMI at the moment.

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

O thats a shame.

I see no setting for HLG I guess its just auto .. As you say Via HDMI.  And i see no difference in the quality of the HDR on my ps4 Pro  or Xbox one x

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It kicks in as soon as you play HLG content over HDMI. So did you actually play HLG content from your PS or Xbox? Do they actually support that?

Also keep in mind that there is not a lot of HLG content around today.

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

Hmm They both have Youtube apps  And games in HDR But your guess is as good as mine. Maybe early days ?

How are other people getting it who for instance got the update with HLG at the end of may. And thankyou for the previous replys.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You should probably read what HLG is. It is mainly for broadcast TV, where broadcasters can't afford multiple streams for SDR and HDR.

YouTube is mainly HDR10. There is not much HDR content available on YouTube though. I don't know about games.

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

Yes indeed it is currently as you say " Mainly for broadcast TV"

"Can't afford multiple streams for SDR and HDR"?  Surely you mean broadcasters that have insufficient or limited bandwidth or in layman's terms so you understand Its a more convenient HDR solution because it negates the need to transmit dual bitstreams.  I can dumb it down futher if that helps. Here is what the BBC say about it.

"In order to meet all of our requirements, HLG was designed to be a scene-referred system, just like conventional television. The signal represents relative light levels in the original scene, which allows pictures from a single mastering process or live production to be adapted to give the same artistic effect on brighter or darker screens at home. Only the display itself needs information about its own capabilities and environment to faithfully render the scene-referred signal, so metadata that describes the mastering display is not required. HLG also has native compatibility with standard dynamic range (SDR) television within the same colour format, which can be used for  (UHD) SDR displays."

Youtube currently has HLG videos but i do not know yet if the xbox one x app  or indeed if the Ps4 Pro app supports use of the HLG technology. i am still left with just guessing. I expect more data will surface shortly.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Whenever I read anything from Sony about hlg it is invariably about hdr hlg. Sony seem to be unaware that hlg supports sdr and hdr and only offers hlg compatibility on hdr capable models. Its incredibly annoying.