Join now - be part of our community!

How to install Sony Select Featured apps like iplayer

pierslawson
Explorer

How to install Sony Select Featured apps like iplayer

So my 49X8309C has Android TV and the Featured Apps section has a Sony Select area. In there are the iPlayer app, itv app etc. and they work just fine... but how do I install them so they are on my App menu? They are not available through the Google play store.

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

These apps are already installed on the TV (i.e. iPlayer) - just open the up and they should work.  They will not go in the normal app area.

Cheers

pierslawson
Explorer

So what will happen if Sony decide they are no longer "Featured apps"? On a previous Sony TV I could move them into "my apps" area so they would always be easy to find.

profile.country.GB.title
DorsetRed
Explorer

Is there any more info on this?

Also, I don't have a working aerial connection, so rely on Sky and internet connected content. After setting up my 49x8305c at the weekend, if I go to ITV Hub or 4OD it just tries to send me to YouView, but that doesn't work because I don't have an aerial? Is there no way of using the standalone On Demand Apps as normal apps?

profile.country.en_GB.title
TheVoice

Just enable YouView, skip the service search when it asks, and the apps will become available. No idea why you need YouView enabled to use them, another bizarre Sony quirk it seems.

profile.country.GB.title
DorsetRed
Explorer

I've tried this and it automatically goes into the channel search and when it comes up with 0 services, there is no option to progress, only to go back?

TheVoice

Weird, on mine it asks if you want to start auto-tuning, then I just select Cancel.

profile.country.GB.title
DorsetRed
Explorer

And if you press cancel on the auto-tuning what happens then? If I don't auto tune when I go to any of those on-demand apps they just say to enable youview to use them? Apart from iPlayer.

TheVoice

It just takes me to the "YouView set-up complete" screen and then lets me use the other apps as normal.

profile.country.GB.title
DorsetRed
Explorer

Just tried again, cancelled the search and it takes you back to the home screen. But clicking on the apps just brings up the screen saying activate YouView to use these.

Just to confirm, you don't have an aerial connection in, yes?