Join now - be part of our community!

Details of Android TV Sound settings for Sony KD65-A1

profile.country.GB.title
penguin69

Details of Android TV Sound settings for Sony KD65-A1

Hi,

I have a Sony KD65-A1 and have a couple of questions.

1) The reference manual for the TV does not provide any guidance on the Android TV settings. Is there an online reference for these? I need to make some changes to Audio settings and at the moment I am guessing a little bit on some of the less intuitive settings. I've done some searching around the Sony site and elsewhere, but I haven't found anything that I would class as a reference guide. I thought Sony would cover it in their manual, but I guess they were worried that future Android version upgrades would make their documentation redundant.

2) What I am essentially trying to do is to stop my Sony TV from recognising my JBL Soundbar as a sound device. I want the TV to accept video content from the Soundbar (pass through from AppleTV) but let me decide how to govern the audio. There are a few reasons for this, the main one being that when the Soundbar is detected by the TV as an audio device, I seem to lose the ability to take (L)PCM audio and analogue audio from the optical and headphone outputs respectively. If anyone has a tips or idea here, I am all ears. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Regards

penguin69

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@penguin69 

Yamaha are probably the best at sound fields; although you never hear sound from behind you with my YSP2500 soundbar, it does actually manage to make sounds come from the left and right of me, as if the sound source was beside me, and not in front of me.

JBLs are analytical yet punchy, and ideal either as studio monitors, or for the similarly close listening you are likely to get in student digs. Anyone I ever knew who worked with audio had a pair of JBLs.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
penguin69

Yep, the JBL's are great monitor speakers - I had about 4 pairs of different JBL monitors through 1987-2005, when I was living mostly in flats. I used them both for recreational listening and also for a bit of studio monitoring, when I was making some (very poor) attempts at music production. Now I have a house, I've moved over to larger speakers (Kudos), after a brief engagement with some Kudos LS50 monitor speakers.

My Yamaha AV receiver arrived yesterday. The pre-outs work fine, although there is a bit of hum on them. (Might be a ground loop, not sure of an easy way to get rid of it. It's not noticeable when sound is playing so I'm not too troubled by it.) The speaker settings seem reasonably straightforward. I had a Yamaha AV a few years ago, and the current interface isn't too different to what I remember.

The TV and the receiver seem much more in harmony than my JBL soundbar and TV were. For instance, I seem to be able to control the AppleTV 4k and the TV-embedded Amazon Prime app from the Yamaha remote alone. And when I shut the TV down, the receiver also shuts down.

I bit the bullet and ordered some Yamaha 20 wireless surrounds, which I will plumb in today. I won't have a true Atmos set-up, but at least I can build slowly toward that, as I feel the need.

I nearly opted for an alternative Atmos-enabled soundbar but I think I am in more comfortable territory now with the AV receiver.

penguin69

profile.country.GB.title
penguin69

Typo above - KEF LS50, not Kudos LS50.

n.b. wireless surround sound is now working via Yamaha components, in a 4.0 configuration (Kudos Titans have a lot of bass so no real need for a sub).

Zero credit to the Yamaha guides though: all 3 items - the AV receiver + the 2 satellite wireless speakers - required firmware updates to work and there was nothing in the guides to suggest that this was the reason the configuration would not work ... nor any instructions on how to perform the firmware update!

It's disappointing also that three supposedly brand new items did not arrive with the latest firmware.

Oh well, it keeps the grey matter ticking over I suppose...

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@penguin69 

Yes, I gave you a KEF for your last posting... 😛

Your Yamaha items probably spent the last three months on a slow boat from Japan; and certainly most of what I buy needs updating immediately on first plugging in. Including four smart plugs I just bought so I can say things like “Hey BooBoo, kettle on!” without getting out of bed, so it’s boiled by the time I hit the kitchen...

Anyway, at least you can now put your backs out, instead of putting your back out.... 😛

But at least they did it for themselves, instead of making me hunt around.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…