Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer system memory limit

profile.country.GB.title
Missinformed

BBC iPlayer system memory limit

Ongoing issues with the failure of iPlayer on my Sony KD-49X8505B  I have tried all the resets, software updates etc, but it just keeps failing. Will an Amazon Fire stick get around this?

Also does anyone know how to contact Sony Support UK - if only to register my dissatisfaction, as I don’t think either Sony or the BBC are one bit interested in resolving this problem which has been going on for years, and with various models of TV.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Do you get an error message? I saw some users reporting a message saying it's no longer available. A fire-stick will definitely work as you'll be using the app from it not from the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Also, You can find the contact details on their services: https://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/contact/

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Missinformed 

We need a description of what you mean by ‘system memory limit’, and what the failures you are getting look like.

If you are using the BBC iPlayer in a very specific way that breaks it, then you may break it on any device you use, including a FireStick, and not just on Sony TVs.

I am also intrigued that you state the problem has been going on for years, across different TVs?

No doubt you have been in contact with the BBC about this, who are usually very good at responding, and acknowledging any temporary problems, so it would be useful to know what they have said that makes you think they are just not interested.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Missinformed

Just (trying to) use the BBC iPlayer app and not doing anything that should break the system!  I have now had a response from Sony who confirm that there is an issue because our TV is older (maybe 5 or 6 yrs old) then BBC iPlayer doesnt work. Sony blame BBC for this. It has indeed been a problem on and off for years, BBC are aware of it.  I have now purchased an Amazon Fire Stick and that has got round the issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
Missinformed

HannahEd01 -  The Firestick has worked. Thank you for your response. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Missinformed 

Yes, as TVs age, they become unable to support the constantly evolving versions of the BBC iPlayer; or the BBC declines to support the limitation of older sets any longer.

Nobody’s fault really; just the passage of time.

But your 2014 TV is still listed by the BBC without any reservations, or indications that support has ceased:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/supported-devices/sony#2014

So you might want to take that up with the BBC, and/or Sony, as there is no indication that the BBC iPlayer shouldn’t work on it anymore.

You may not get everything; of course; the BBC don’t support UHD on our 2015 Samsung UE55JS9000 - but then that’s a new feature, and it still does everything else.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…