Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Bonnevillet140
Explorer

Purchased KD49X8309C on Black Friday after visiting Currys a few days earlier, when I was looking a buying a Samsung 49" UHDSmart TV, after I was assured by the sales person that the Sony TV offered all the Samsung could offer with a better picture and that the Sony TV had a "full working" internet explorer. With regards to the picture quality there is no question the picture quality is better than the Samsung UE40H6400. that is were it finishes.

The Sony TV internet explorer is slow to load, doesn't stream any sites that uses Flash Player (no problem streaming sites that use Flash Player on Samsung UE40H6400) and displays the message "Couldn't load plug in"

The Google Play Store on the TV doesn't display all the apps that are available on the Google Play website.

TV slow on start up and unable to change channel for at least a minute until Youview menu has appeared and the channel listing have loaded.  

Have tried using the e.support web page on the Sony website for the last 2 days and keep getting a mesage stating the the questions can't be posted at this time and gives a list of Q & As

I agree with previous posts that the TV isn't as descibed and Sony seem to be ignoring customers issues and I have posted my issues here as I have been unable to email Sony Tech Support directly.

I trust the above is being addressed by Sony in the proposed March 2016 update or the TV will be going back for a full refund in April 2016 as the TV is not as descibed or sold to me by the sales person at Currys. 

EggDublin

royabrown wrote:

To get rid of it completely, you can set an overseas Proxy or VPN IP address, or Smart DNS, and then look for a manual Software Update, whereupon the TV should update to the 247 EU-only software version; just like the current 245, pretty much, but without YouView. But there is currently no way back from this if it does not suit you.

Might be best to download the Irish/EU firmware, which is up to Version 3.169 now, from the website to a USB stick.

http://www.sony.ie/support/en/product/KD-55X8509C

I moved from the UK firmware to this version as Youview is no good to me. You shouldn't need a proxy as it's on the website to download and the TV retains the UK settings (iPlayer etc) when you restart. Obviously, like me, if you are outside the UK you would need a proxy/smartDNS to keep the UK settings after installing the firmware.

V3.169 is better/faster I think.

As you say Royabrown, there is no way back if you want Youview.

mk1.golf.1983

@EggDublin could I confirm with you please that if I was to download the Irish/Eu firmware to my UK set It would work here in the UK with bbc iplayer etc working but without youview. 

stmwatch
Explorer

My new KDL43W807C was delivered and installed by the technician today. I enjoyed the great picture for a while and then both my partner and I noticed the lip sync was out. It's just a straight TV - no sound bar, etc - but the sound delay, though slight, is clearly noticeable. Checking online I see it's an issue for some people with attachments but is it still a known problem without them? Is there a solution? After a lifetime of swearing by Sony products I'm disappointed to say the least and don't want to have to send it back.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@mk1.golf.1983 wrote:

@EggDublin could I confirm with you please that if I was to download the Irish/Eu firmware to my UK set It would work here in the UK with bbc iplayer etc working but without youview. 

As "eggdublin" is outside the UK, and not receiving a UK signal, the real question is will a set loaded with EU firmware produce a full Freeview EPG or just the 'now and next' EPG that very cheap generic 'market stall' sets are lumbered with? 

Personally I would be happy to load the 'EU' firmware if I thought it would solve the problems with satellite tuning and audio latency; and not leave me with (effectively) 'no EPG'.  - But there are many other issues with these sets that Sony seem to be dodging'. And one possible difficulty with loading the 'foreign' firmware might be that it gives this 'parcel of rogues' the excuse they seek to further abdicate responsibility for this shambles and not honour the guarantee.

For the benefit of those who have contacted me directly... I'm sorry I don't have the time to reply to everyone.

The last cogent contact I have from Sony was on the 18th of December  - they having promised to 'look at' replacing my set and been given several options as to what it might be replaced with.

"Kimberly" of Sony's 'Direct Contact' support department simply disappeared off for her holidays! But not before asking twice for the serial number she had already been given, and insisting that Curry's would have printed details on my receipt that they now confirm they didn't!  - A cynic might be tempted to find this obfuscatious!  Having protested the silence after a week I did receive a note from "Stefan" of the same department on Christmas Eve advising me of Kimberly's soujourn... But no more contact (and certainly no help) from them since!

However, Curry's have now confirmed that the 5-Year guarantee they're selling the sets with is with Sony; not them!  - It strikes me then as more than a little 'naughty' of Sony not to have included either a means of registering for this or a means of invoking it should it be necessary in the future!  

We'll see what Monday brings... Nothing much I suspect!  But my advice to anyone contemplating buying one of these sets - or recently having bought  one is 'not with a barge pole'.  I suspect I'll be seeing the Curry's van at the door before too long!  But won't be letting Sony's feet away from the fire! 

Happy new year all...

EggDublin

mk1.golf.1983 wrote:

Yes, iPlayer, Demand 5, BBC News, BBC Sport and Amazon are available and working on the Irish/ Eu firmware as long as the TV thinks it is in the UK. No 4OD or ITV player though as they come with Youview it seems.

mk1.golf.1983

@EggDublin Thanks for the info,  as Caledonian_TV mentioned what is your epg like, I understand that your signal may differ but you're in UK right?

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

stmwatch wrote:

My new KDL43W807C was delivered and installed by the technician today. I enjoyed the great picture for a while and then both my partner and I noticed the lip sync was out. It's just a straight TV - no sound bar, etc - but the sound delay, though slight, is clearly noticeable. Checking online I see it's an issue for some people with attachments but is it still a known problem without them? Is there a solution? After a lifetime of swearing by Sony products I'm disappointed to say the least and don't want to have to send it back.

It might - just might - be worthwhile going into the audio output settings and changing this to 'pcm'...  It works (though isn't always a satisfactory workaround) with external equipment.  Also - DO make sure (first!) that the set has the latest firmware; it could have been sitting around in a box for months before delivery! 

EggDublin

@mk1.golf.1983 wrote:

@EggDublin Thanks for the info,  as Caledonian_TV mentioned what is your epg like, I understand that your signal may differ but you're in UK right?

No, I'm not in the UK so I do not get a UK Digital Terrestrial signal. I do get the Irish DTV signal and because the TV thinks it's in the UK I get a "Freeview" Logo on my guide which indicates that the freeview guide may well be on the EU software. 

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@mk1.golf.1983 wrote:

Hey mate, I am UK and used the EU firmware without issue, apart from it breaks auto picture mode. Yes, you get the Freeview guide. I can barely get a signal here, but it does show all the channels. My main source of TV is Sky....