Join now - be part of our community!

ZV-E10: (1) brightness fluctuation issue & (2) focus/lens/autofocus hunting/breathing issue

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

ZV-E10: (1) brightness fluctuation issue & (2) focus/lens/autofocus hunting/breathing issue

I have used the ZV-E10 on two separate recordings and have had two different problems:

Problem 1

Fluctuations in recording brightness.

Basic Settings:

Program Auto / XAVCS S 4K / 25p 100M

This problem was masked by using Adobe Premiere Elements with a function as attached.

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-13 at 14.51.27_fd1aa1ab.jpg

This has only masked the problem and not solved it.

I am still new to this camera but I think the fluctuations in brightness maybe partially due to the Program Auto setting where aperture and shutter speed are set to automatic. Of course, there are so many other settings that can have an impact on recording results in this camera, which I am still learning... 

Problem 2

Autofocus hunting/breathing issue.

This recording was taken in January 2024.

Basic Settings:

Intelligent Auto / XAVC S HD / 50p 50M

In a part of this recording the Intelligent Auto setting went haywire (see attached). This problem was never solved using other software i.e. DaVinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere Elements.

https://youtu.be/nBLrOj7Y_nE 

It is difficult for me to analyze the exact cause of both of these problems but they have reduced the quality of my recordings.

My main aim now is to see if I can solve both of these problems using software to the best of my ability and moving on, get advice on which camera settings will not create these problems.

I am inexperienced to record in manual mode in general use and low light and fluctuating light conditions, but if any advice is given to me on this forum, I will take it...

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

I can see that both issues are caused mainly by low light conditions, the camera is trying to adjust the ISO and keep the image in focus automatically which sometimes can result in brightness fluctuations and focus breathing

I'd suggest that you check this photo gallery that represents the settings of cameras when taking photos in multiple conditions

Sony Corporation - Photo Gallery

profile.country.GB.title
lightsaver5

There's obviously a lot to learn on my part...

For Problem 2, I accept that low light was an issue. It was recorded in a theatre and this recording took place at a distance from the stage.

For Problem 1, it was recorded in front of a Window in normal light, but it then started getting dark as the recording time was between 7-8 pm and when I was recording at 7 pm it was light but by 8 pm it was fully dark in the location where I was recording...

Is it possible to have manual settings for video recordings when there are changes in lighting in a natural or artificial environment? For example, in Problem 1, there were changes in natural light so how do you change aperture, shutter speed and ISO on demand?

In addition, I noticed that many professional camera people film with LED video lights in front of their camera or have stage lights on set, even during the day and in outside environments. Is this standard practice and does this artificial steady lighting prevent this type of brightness fluctuation and focus breathing problem or does it depend on your distance from the subject and/or background you are recording?