Join now - be part of our community!

How do you tag Sony RX100 RAW FILES?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Gerard_5819
Visitor

How do you tag Sony RX100 RAW FILES? I need it for search index to work on my computer. I take thousands of pictures per year and without tags on them, chaos will follow. Windows will not let me tag Sony RAW files, only Jpeg files. Surely, there must be a way to tag Sony RAW files. I also cannot display them on my Adobe CS-5, editing software. The new Adobe RAW update DNGConerter 7.2 dng will not load up on Adoby CCS-5 for some reason I do not know. So I have no way to update the tags.It is a wonderful camera, however without these very important tools it makes things harder for keeping a track on where my Sony RAW files are. Editing and indexing on my chosen pro-software; which is Adobe, is necessary. I have try Sony RAW software; however, there does not seem to be a way to tag with this software as you can on Adoby Bridge.

Answer; Gerard

Message was edited by: -Soup-

Edited personal details

Message was edited by: -Soup-

Message was edited by: Gerard_5819

Gerard

Tags (4)
6 REPLIES 6
silawre
New

I use Adobe's excellent Ligthroom 4.1 but I also now Apple's Apeture can catalog and tag RX100 RAW files too.

Si

Gerard_5819
Visitor

The only problem with that, I like updating the Mega Data in, “My Pictures” on the “Windows system,” as mega data updating is an on-going affair that helps in tuning the indexing system to find pictures quick in a large collection. Having a standard system as Windows, is essential and is the setup I want to stay with. Anyway, the above I have just mention interferes with the Light Room-4 system when used outside it.I find the Windows system easy and quick to use.

Adobe is just too costly for me to be updating every year or two. I have no doubt that is why my “CS-5 Bridge” will not display Sony RAW files, no doubt CS-6 Bridge will. If only Sony RAW allowed the tagging system of “Windows” to work on their RAW files as it does on Jpeg, everything would be fine.

I am quite happy with the editing software that comes with the top pro camera today for editing the RAW files, when printing or a web display as they can be converted for finishing work in CS-5 Photoshop such as layers.However I store all my pictures in RAW and that why taging is so importing for my setup..

So tagging on the "Window System" is the problem I need to find a way around without installing a new picture display software system like Light Room-4 and all the files that go with it.

I wounder is there a tagging clip on software for the Sony RX100 RAW files that works with the "Window System."  I am open to ideas. Some one suggest software called," FastPictureViewer Professional."  Has anyone try this out?

Gerard

silawre
New

LR is not expensive and if you say within the supported camara matrix there is no problem.  I think LR is the answer to you problem.  I you do not move from your current camera in the next 3 to 4 years the cost of LR is a very small price to pay.

Si

Gerard_5819
Visitor

Thanks again, I had it on two machines; we took it off six months ago. I need an open system as we have five-linked PC in our network system. That means the same number of Adobe software programs and each time they update the same again. That is why I complain about cost. The “Window System” is open and I can see “My Picture” files on anyone of them even on line if need be, which I cannot do with Light Room-4 without putting out large funds. We try it on two machines and we spend more time reading up help lines trying to work out one thing after another. The “Windows System” is user friendly and open as long as you are a Windows user. I need a system that works with the Windows Setup for it to work on the other PC without problems. That the way we are setup. The Mega data on both systems do not gel very well from my experience. That why I want to stay with the “Window setup.” Thanks again for your input; I hope others join in as we all can learn from this.

By the way,

Happy New Year.

:slight_smile:

Mick2011
New

Hi Gerard, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If you tag photos using keywords you should be able to move between different apps and platforms with ease. Any other form of tagging runs the risk of not 'translating', in my experience. Getting a good, disciplined keyword regime together may be a bit of work in the short term, but it will pay you in the long run, being a pretty much universal tag field.

Using advanced an image editor like Lightroom allows you to enter your keywords and record them (and your conversion settings) alongside the image file without altering the RAW file in any way; no need to save as a jpeg. When you export as a jpeg, the keywords are written to the file and will display in any system capable of reading file metadata.

If Lightroom is not your cup of tea, I've heard good things about darktable – it's opensource software and therefore free, so certainly worth giving it a try.

Cheers

Mick

Gerard_5819
Visitor

Thanks Si & Mick, all night I have been thinking on this as my collection over the years has grown in size and now is the time to nail my wandering ways on software. What I like about the Window display system for pictures, is how simple it is. It never seem to change and it is universal throughout the world on every PC you will use. You will not forget how to use it, as it is part of the operation system.

However, having different filing systems from different cameras makers does get to me at times. I have Nikon, Olympus, Sony, and Windows each with their own files. I like the idea of the standard RAW filing system Adobe are trying to push, one file for ever make of camera. I think it the way to go. However, the cost of their software, which I use a lot, (Adobe Creative Suite 5 Web & Production Premium) has gone mad, what once, was only a minor thing with updates has turn into a pain if you miss out in one update. I cannot take this expense anymore.

Pity I cannot feel the same way about software; as I do about hardware when purchasing it, then I would just get on with it. Taking that I have two copies of Light Room-4, which I try out in June on the PC’s we have, and that everyone states (including yourself) that it is the way to go. I will try it out again; I hope my second try will be better than the first.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to all who read this, we all certain need it after getting this far. What a miserable Year it was. I hope next Year is a Magic Year and one we will all enjoy. Remember, good times are coming, just do not give up. Gerard.