Join now - be part of our community!

Focus Stacking/Bracketing for Sony's

Taki_T
New

Focus Stacking/Bracketing for Sony's

PLEASE could somebody from Sony or who can get in touch with anyone there find out if they plan to include this feature at any point. They will soon be the ONLY company that doesn't offer the feature and I simply don't understand it? (It must surely be the most requested feature I've seen...)

If it's a yes, a timeline would be appreciated so people don't go blowing money on 3rd party equipment to do focus stacking.

If no, an explanation as to why not would be much appreciated (is there a technical reason that it can't be done?)

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
cryptopodium
Explorer

Regretfully, I'm going to have to sell all of my Sony stuff and move to another brand for this reason. Macro is a big part of my photography interest, and (basically) SONY DOES NOT SUPPORT MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi cryptopodium, why don't you contact Sony and ask for a feedback to be delivered to the engineers, the more we ask for it the more they will listen.

profile.country.GB.title
e.okorie.2020

@HannahEd01Unfortunately, I do not think Sony is remotely interested in supporting existing products with anything.  There have been a myriad of suggestions proposed on here.  Sadly Sony is more interested in pumping out new cameras with video centric features and ignoring the photography side of things.  I mean when was the last time they released a firmware upgrade to their APS-C line of cameras (6400, 6100 or 6600) or some of the FF cameras to fix issues or add enhancements?

Just feels like, when suggestions are made, Sony just blows it's customers off. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey e.okorie.2020, I ahve to disagree, have you tried contacting them and got that outcome?

profile.country.GB.title
e.okorie.2020

Actually, I have...

On my last message to Sony a few months back, where I suggested a firmware upgrade to at least allow those of us who purchased the Sony Memories apps so we can use them on the Sony a6400, a6600 or a6100,  Sony's reply was to go and purchase one of the previous generation of cameras (a6000) to be able to do that.

I now own a Sony a6400 and gave my a6000 to a sibling.  Should be going to ask that sibling for the camera back?  Or drop another £400 for the Sony a6000 when they could just release a firmware upgrade?

profile.country.GB.title
keburto48
Explorer

I am Sooooo jealous of my friends who have Olympus ! The in built or easily accessible features and willingness to update firmware is astonishing. I would never leave Sony having migrated from Minolta over several decades BUT...
Using a legacy Minolta Twin Flash and WeMacro focus rail in the field is the only, though most inelegant solution I
have been able to come up with.