Join now - be part of our community!

Focus Stacking/Bracketing for Sony's

Taki_T
New

Focus Stacking/Bracketing for Sony's

PLEASE could somebody from Sony or who can get in touch with anyone there find out if they plan to include this feature at any point. They will soon be the ONLY company that doesn't offer the feature and I simply don't understand it? (It must surely be the most requested feature I've seen...)

If it's a yes, a timeline would be appreciated so people don't go blowing money on 3rd party equipment to do focus stacking.

If no, an explanation as to why not would be much appreciated (is there a technical reason that it can't be done?)

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Taki_T,

I will pass your request to the engineers.

This feature had been requested in the past already but I cannot say if they're working on it.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.SE.title
Mihai_T
Explorer

This is a feature that as many others even I am want in my camera.
My first mirrorless camera was the sony A7ii then I uppgradet to a7III for many reasons and i think it's a shame that Focus stacking feature is missing. Me too I want to know if this is commig soon and i hope that this is not going to be an A7IV only feature.

profile.country.GB.title
e.okorie.2020

It certainly does need addressing.  The biggest problem I have noticed is that Sony while they make great cameras, they are so slow at updating firmware to provide features that most cameras pretty much offer out of the box. 

If Fuji can offer Focus Bracketing on their XT lines (XT-2, XT-3, XT-4), I am seriously wondering why Sony is not even doing this.  We can't keep upgrading to new cameras to get new features when Sony can easily do this with a firmware fix.

profile.country.GB.title
e.okorie.2020

I will suggest you have a look at Camoodoo on android or Camrote on iOS.  Both apps seems to support focus bracketing features and seem to be also faster than Sony's own native app... 

profile.country.SE.title
Mihai_T
Explorer

I purchased the Camrote app for IOS but unfortunately focus stacking doesn't work for A7III. The feature works only on cameras that have remote touch focus enabled, like a7II. At least that's what i have been told. I haven't tried focus stacking in Camrote yet because it has to be purchased separately an d i am not willing to pay extra for something that doesn't work 🙂.

mvAsCMJxFb.png

Another annoying thing beside the grey focus point that is so difficult to spot when trying to take a picture in not so perfect conditions is the focus confirm box that that doesn't show when using remote apps like Edge and Camrote.

profile.country.GB.title
e.okorie.2020

I hear you about the grey focus point.  I did have issues with trying to find that on occasion when trying to move it to focus.  Mind you I have been using the a6400 so cant really much about your experience.  And being an Android user, I can only attest to Camoodoo.  But we can agree in something, the Edge app is not the best.

profile.country.DK.title
MortenA68
Explorer

This could be a helpful option to have.

Im going to invest in some gear for macro and i am considering another brand as my main camera because it lacks of focus bracketing, my a7iii will then be my second hand camera.

But i do hope Sony working on something 🙄

profile.country.GB.title
dvdbob

I have the A7 m2  so would be most interested in learning more aout fous stacking

profile.country.GB.title
hrossm
Explorer

I have a A7R2, not a cheap camera, but when I have a problem with macro my friends say "Use focus stacking" I have to say my camera doesn't do it. It's something I want not just for macro and soon I might switch brand to get it as I only have two lenses so it wouldn't be too painful.