Join now - be part of our community!

focus hunting

profile.country.en_GB.title
anusca
Visitor

focus hunting

I am in single-shot AF and the camera starts focusing as soon as I point it in a different direction without even touching the shutter button. How can I stop this as I would like the camera to focus only when I press the shutter button half way? Thank you very mauch for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello anusca :slight_smile:

What model of camera are you using?

Thanks,

Simon

anusca
Visitor

Hi Simon, sorry I forgot to mention that is a nex 5n, and also the auto tracking feature is off.  thankyou

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Does the same problem occur when the camera is set to Manual Focus mode?

Simon

anusca
Visitor

Yes it does, it stops only if I put it in manual focus.  I will try to be more precisely, when the camera is not in manual focus, after you point the camera to a different place it starts to adjust the focus till the image on the display becomes clear.

Mick2011
New

Hi anusca :slight_smile:

Is the camera in Movie mode when this happens? If so this is normal behaviour. If it's when you're shooting stills as well, there's something not right...

You could try Direct Manual Focus (see the NEX5 manual p68) which lets you do a half-press of the shutter to AF as well as override with manual turning of the focus ring while shooting, ideal in Movie mode where it's not practical to do critical focussing manually.

Cheers

Mick

anusca
Visitor

Sorry for my delay,

Hi Mick, thank you for trying to help me.  I tried DMF but not difference, I red in the similar questions section that the nex5 had the same problem which was fixed in firmware 4.  I assume that I have to wait for a firmware update… Thanks again and Marry Christmas!

anusca
Visitor

Hi Simon, just red the messages again and I realized my reply about the manual focus.  Please accept my apologies. The answer should have been - No it doesn't. Thank you for your help.

Marry Christmas!

profile.country.RO.title
lilicta
Explorer

MENU / Custom Key Settings / 3 / Pre-AF / Off