Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 10 IV Screen timeout not working

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
gustavjohannes
Explorer

Xperia 10 IV Screen timeout not working

Hello, every now and again the screen timeout doesn't work. It's set to 30 seconds, but once in a while (maybe ten times a day) the screen won't turn off for about 6-7 minutes.

This happens when the phone would be displaying the Home Screen. No apps are running while this happens. In fact, this happens even in Safe mode.

I have tried:

Running Safe mode.

Removing SIM card and SD card.

Turning "Smart backlight control" OFF.
Turning Bluetooth off.

Uninstalling all third-party apps.

Factory resetting the device four times.

Repairing once with Xperia Companion.

Problem still persists.

I have contacted Sony Support in my country, they have not been able to provide any solutions.

Any recommendations?

-Gustav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
gustavjohannes
Explorer

So I got a response this morning from support. Actually the support (in Sweden) has been very swift and helpful -- I've just been a bit impatient and eager to get this problem fixed. Anyway, the support guy had got word back from the technicians, who said the same thing, the device is faulty and I should return it to the seller. I'll do that now. Thanks for your reply!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @gustavjohannes  and welcome to the UK Community :slight_smile:

You've already tried everything  I could suggest.

Has this always happened or has it just started recently?

It's  interesting that Support in your country haven't been able to help; which would lead me to believe your phone has a fault. Did Support not say this?

Its probably time  you contacted the retailer for an exchange.

profile.country.GB.title
gustavjohannes
Explorer

So I got a response this morning from support. Actually the support (in Sweden) has been very swift and helpful -- I've just been a bit impatient and eager to get this problem fixed. Anyway, the support guy had got word back from the technicians, who said the same thing, the device is faulty and I should return it to the seller. I'll do that now. Thanks for your reply!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again 

You're welcome,  I'm glad you're getting it sorted :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey gustavjohannes, that's great news! Thank you for updating the thread. Let us know when you get the new phone, how it goes ^^

profile.country.GB.title
gustavjohannes
Explorer

Hello, I returned the device for repair. Unfortunately, the Sony service personnel sent the device back to me without fixing the issue, since they could not reproduce the error (after what I assume is one or two quick attempts). However, it usually takes one or two hours before this issue presents itself. I mentioned this explicitly in the service letter, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough or they skipped that part by mistake.

I guess I'm stuck with a faulty device and a customer support that is unwilling to fix it, despite my efforts to send it back and wait weeks for it to return with the same issue. It is very frustrating and disappointing.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi gustavjohannes, idk, maybe you would be looking at the screen, moving your hand near it, etc. That might be triggering the sensor. 

profile.country.GB.title
gustavjohannes
Explorer

"Smart backlight control" has been off the entire time so I don't see why the sensor would react to that sort of thing. The display should just go dark after 30 seconds of inactivity like a normal phone.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi gustavjohannes, smart backlight control is irrelevant to what I'm saying. The sensor can still detect motion with this feature turned off.